* Declare a national housing emergency
* Build 50,000 council houses– 10,000 a year over 5 years. This will cost €3 billion in the first year and a total of €7 billion over 5 years, but it will become self-financing by year 6 and into the future. This programme will also provide jobs in the construction sector and add to revenue receipts.
* Transfer of 20,000 NAMA housing units to local authorities.
* Introduce immediate Rent Controls. Establish a new Rental Board that oversees rental prices according to transparent criteria. Reduce rents where they do not meet these criteria and limit rent increases to the rate of inflation.
* Give tenants security of tenure to protect them against homelessness.
* Legal measures to outlaw discrimination – an end to “Rent Allowance not Accepted”
Read our full housing policy here: